Tuesday, December 21, 2010

My Readmission to the Hospital

When Amelia was 4 weeks old I got sick with what I thought was a kidney infection.  My back hurt and my urine was really dark (TMI I know, I'm sorry). I figured I would drink lots more water and it would pass on its own. That was on Monday.  On Thursday I was still hurting so I went to the doctor and they confirmed that I did indeed have a kidney infection and gave me an antibiotic. The pain I was in was unreal.  It hurt worse than the contractions I felt during labor...  On Friday I was in so much pain that I knew that I couldn't take care of Amelia alone so I asked my husband to take me to my grandmother's house before he went to work so she could help me...  shortly after I asked him I started throwing up...  I was still throwing up when I arrived at my grandmother's house, I even threw up on the way... luckily I grabbed some grocery bags to throw up in... When I got to my grandmother's my mom was there and not at work (my grandmother lives with my mom)...  so I got in the bed and tossed and turned and jumped up to run to the bathroom to throw up more times than I can count in the 45 minutes I was there.  I was laying in the bed crying because I hurt so bad and my mom talked me into going to the emergency room... So I threw up on the way there and got quickly called back and in a room all of this was about 9:30am.  Within the first minute I had a doctor in my room and he told me it sounded like my gall bladder...  So he ordered a CT scan and an ultrasound...  I had the most awesome nurse and he quickly got my IV going and gave me something for nausea and pain...  It took a while to get the CT scan and the ultrasound and luckily my husband arrived before I had to go for either of them...

It turns out that I had gall stones in my gall bladder and in my pancreas, I had pancreatitis, a kidney infection and jaundice. I met with a surgeon and a GI doctor and then I was admitted and was taken to my room about 1pm.  They decided not to remove my gall bladder until Monday because it was so inflamed so I had to deal with that pain all weekend...  luckily they gave me pain medicine and some muscle relaxers.  So on Monday I had my gall bladder removed and then on Tuesday I had an endoscopy (down my throat) to remove the gall stones from my pancreas and they put a stint in so that the bile from my liver would drain and my jaundice would go away... I was discharged on Wednesday, thankfully...  And I am now back to normal but that was definitely a scary time...  Luckily my sister came up from her house (5 hours away) to be with me and to keep Amelia for me so Zach could stay with me...

So that was about 6 weeks ago...  Amelia and I have been hanging out since then...  We did spend a week at my sister's house but that is about it...  Nothing interesting...

I hope you all have a very merry Christmas!  Here is my baby girl and Santa!



post signature

3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! What a scary time. What causes all that? I am glad to hear you are doing better. Amelia is so cute with Santa. Happy and Healthy Holidays and New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My surgeon said that is common with pregnancy. I asked him if it was something I ate or something I did and he said no that two people could eat the same things everyday and one could get gall stones and the other not. But it said it is very common in pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'm so glad you are feeling better! I know that had to be scary- for everyone! I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas. How could you not with that precious little girl?! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete